Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tenang revisited

It was in 1995 and I was practising a dance step for a musical when assistant news editor Lee Boon Siew barged into the room, calling me to one side.
Apparently, a man was swallowed by a python in a remote place near Segamat and he wanted me to interview the grieving family.
Lionel Morais was also roped in and we were told to leave the same night and come back as soon as possible to make it to the front page of The Malay Mail the next day.
That was my first encounter with a place called Tenang. I returned to the place daily for the next nine days for a full coverage of the incident.
Now, 16 years after, I am returning to Tenang, this time to cover by-election, to be held following the death of its incumbent state assemblyman Datuk Sulaiman Taha.
Can't wait to explore the constituency

No comments:

Post a Comment